Recently, 20% presidents of the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco (SRNT) co-authored a paper in the Malaysia Journal of Public Health arguing that vaping’s potential positive effect on public health is being ignored or twisted by powerful interests and lobbying groups.
Even top scientists and researchers in relevant fields are ignored when their research doesn’t align with the popular message (that vaping is just as bad smoking, if not worse). That makes things really confusing!
This article can bring some clarity and simplicity to the topic with a healthy dose of real-world advantages. So what are the actual pros and cons of vaping? Let’s get to it.
1. It’s safer than smoking: The British Royal College of Physicians and Public Health England, and Malaysia National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, all agree that vaping is safer than smoking cigarettes. PHE says vaping is “at least 95% less harmful.” Because there is no combustion in vaping, there is no smoke, and smoke is what creates the tar and carbon monoxide that lead to most of the long-term health damage from smoking. The health benefits of being smoke-free include improved lung and heart function, and even better senses of smell and taste.
2. No noxious odors: One of the biggest advantages of vaping is that you and your clothes, house and car won’t smell of smoke anymore. Vaping has an aroma, but it’s a long way from the smell of stale smoke and cigarette butts. In fact, even tobacco-flavored vapes don’t smell anything like burning tobacco. To a lot of people, the smell of vapor is barely noticeable. You might even get compliments!
3. Control over nicotine intake: Vaping gives you full control over your nicotine dosage. E-juice is available in a variety of strengths, ranging from nicotine-free to high-strength nicotine. You can choose exactly how much nicotine is in your vape—or use no nicotine at all. Most vapers tend to start off with high nicotine levels and gradually work their way down to lower strengths, or even eliminate nicotine completely.
4. Control over vapor output: Vaping gives you control over the amount of vapor you exhale, which is a major part of the experience. Some vapers prefer smaller devices like pod vapes for convenience and low vapor volume, and others like high-powered mods for cloud chasing. Adjusting the power output, airflow, and coil type lets you further fine tune your vapor volume, which affects the flavor too. You can be subtle and stealthy, or as showy as you like, depending on how you choose to vape.
5. Flavors for every palate: There are virtually endless flavor options to choose from in e-juice. Some of the most popular flavor categories are fruit, desserts, beverages, mint and menthol, and tobacco. And if you don’t like what’s available commercially, you can make your own vape juice!
6. Instant satisfaction: Although advanced vapes may require initial tinkering, there are lots of simpler products that come prefilled and ready to use. Either way, once the vape is ready, taking a hit is as simple as pushing a button or drawing on the device (some have an automatic draw). While all vaping devices need a charged battery and e-juice to continue working, the average vape can sustain you throughout the day with no maintenance or upkeep.
7. Price points for every wallet: The vaping market is large and competitive. There are lots of products in every price range—from 10 dollars to hundreds—that can suit almost any user. Whether you want a simple disposable e-cig, or a sophisticated vape mod and premium e-liquid, there’s a vape out there that you can start using today.
8. No experience needed: Sure, you can make a hobby of collecting vaping gear or learning how to build your own coils, but you can also have a great vaping experience immediately as a beginner. Between beginner starter kits and simple pod vapes, there are lots of quality vaping products that require no previous experience.